… this is my year 7 and 8 work for next week. I’m testing it with y7 and 8 music lessons all day tomorrow – I’ll post findings from testing. Students tomorrow will be challenged to act as though they’re at home on their own, rather than in front of me.
Instructions below given to students on their Showbie account. Lesson can be completed on an iPad or iPhone.
If you’re reading this… have a go at the Kahoot using the link below, watch video tutorial 1 and (if you have GarageBand), have a go 🙂
In today’s lesson we’ll test an approach I’ve designed to make it possible for you to continue with your music learning when your school closes for the coronavirus outbreak. You must imagine you’re sitting at home on your own. Read the instructions below carefully. Enjoy everything you do. Good luck!
These are unprecedented times. We will go on with our learning in music and look forward to what we can discover independently. But we have an incredible ‘bigger picture’ opportunity – if we can make this work, we will inspire many other young people around the world to do the same.
Week 1 Lesson Instructions (test day, Friday 20th March)
Learning Objectives: Today we’ll learn about the voice part in a popular song.
NOTE: at the end of your hour of music, take a screenshot of your GarageBand screen and upload it to this page. Rename the image with today’s date. Also add a sentence as a comment to share your experience in this session or to make suggestions of improvements.
HELP: if you’re completely stuck and can’t continue without help, even though you’ve tried to solve the problem… write the problem or your question as a comment on this page. Mr Lowe will either answer your question by commenting back or make a video to help everybody. Help videos can be found in a new Showbie class (code:*****)
- Play this week’s Kahoot! Link: https://kahoot.it/challenge/055154?challenge-id=e9fb6ebc-c0f6-4196-9ce4-6f8eae4c847c_1584644464345
- To catch-up parts you may have missed from weeks 1-3…
Watch Video Tutorial 1. Link: https://youtu.be/DJp9IINoN7c
In this video you can learn how to record the piano, bass guitar, drum kit and guitar parts and how to edit them by quantising so that everything fits perfectly in time. Don’t continue until you’ve completed all of these parts.
- Bass Guitar
- Drum Kit
- Acoustic Guitar
- Electric Guitar
- Open GarageBand, click on the cog in the top right corner and change the tempo to 75 bpm (if you don’t do this, the voice recording will be out of time with the other tracks)
- Watch ‘Video 2 – Importing the Vocal’ on Showbie. Keep checking back to the video to make sure you do everything needed and import Anna’s lead chorus vocal into your session.
- Watch ‘Video 3 – Adding crashes and drum fills on chord changes’ and then add these parts to your session.
At this point, if you’ve finished everything, share your GarageBand project to this page to get feedback. To share your work from looking at GarageBand
- tap the file logo in the top left corner (or it might say ‘my songs’)
- hold your finger on the file for a second and release
- select share
- choose ‘project’
- tap Showbie and add to this folder
Mr Dave Lowe
Director of Learning (Performing Arts)
Head of Music
Manor CE Academy, York
More to follow…